Spring into Shape!
Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Spring is finally here! If you’ve been hibernating this winter and are noticing the extra pounds adding up, it’s time to get in some extra activity and start following a balanced diet.
- Drink More Water! Studies show proper hydration keeps your metabolism running at its peak.
- Boost Energy with Breakfast! Start your day with sensible selections like fresh fruit, nonfat milk, protein foods such as peanut butter or eggs and whole grains. An easy, on-the-go breakfast is a peanut butter and banana sandwich!
- Keep Lunch Light! Avoid the temptation to order out. Plan a lunch that includes vegetables and a lean protein source like tuna or boneless skinless chicken breast. Greenway Veggie Burgers are a convenient and easy way to create a healthy meal.
- Plan Snacks! Eating mini between-meal snacks can help control portions at mealtime by curbing hunger.
- Commit to exercise! Develop a routine you enjoy and stick with it! Exercise can be broken up into short burst of activity throughout the day; 15 minutes during lunch and 15 minutes after dinner –30 minutes a day; now that’s no sweat!
Avocado-Mushroom Veggie Burgers
Prep: 8-10 minutes
Makes: 2 Sandwiches
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (any variety)
- ½ sweet onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Greenway Veggie Burgers
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 English Muffins, toasted
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until onions and mushrooms are soft and slightly browned. About 5 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, cook veggie burgers according to package directions.
- Assemble burger; distribute ingredients evenly between the two English Muffins. place sliced avocado on one half of English muffin followed by veggie burger, mushrooms and onions and top with remaining half of English muffin.
Serving Tip: Serve with sweet potato fries or side salad to round out the meal.
334 Calories; 43g Carbohydrate; 15.5g Total Fat; 12g Protein; 482mg Sodium; 8g Dietary Fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA